By: Ellie Kiper
All about the Good Giving Challenge:
The annual Bluegrass Foundation Good Giving Challenge will be going on from 9:00 a.m., Tuesday, December 3 through 11:59 p.m., Monday, December 9. During this time, everyone is highly encouraged to make a contribution to participating nonprofit organizations listed at Good Giving Challenge. Additionally, Bluegrass Foundation is also matching certain donations (more information about matching and prizes can also be found on their website.) In the last year alone, they raised $1.5 million for 131 local nonprofit organizations and this year they are pushing to raise even more funds for these wonderful organizations!
Of course, any organization that you donate to is great, but here are some of Downtown Lexington Partnership’s participating members:
Arbor Youth Service
- Arbor Youth Service is the only emergency shelter for unaccompanied children in Central Kentucky. Through their outreach center, emergency shelter, and supporting housing services, Arbor Youth Service is able to provide a safe and welcoming environment for children who are homeless, abused, or neglected. To help support this great cause, visit Arbor Youth Service to donate now.
Bluegrass Green Source
- Bluegrass Green Source believes that even the little things can have a big impact on our local environment. Their goal as a business is to empower the Bluegrass to create a sustainable environment by providing outreach, education, and resources to youth, adults, businesses, and community organizations. To donate now, visit Bluegrass Green Source.
Carnegie Literacy Center
- The mission of the Carnegie Center for Literacy and learning is to empower people to explore and express their voices through imaginative learning and the literary arts. Their programs offer help to kids that could be following behind their peers at school. Children who work with this program gain an average of 1.5 grade levels after a year. To donate now, visit Carnegie Literacy Center.
Lady Veterans Connect
- Lady Veterans Connect (LVC) is committed to providing homes to women veterans in order to help them heal from the trauma in their lives such as homelessness, post-traumatic stress syndrome, and military sexual trauma. Through LVC, women veterans are provided with the opportunity and environment to address their unique situation. All of the services and resources that LVC offers helps these women create meaningful and beneficial relationships and connections. To donate now, visit Lady Veterans Connect Inc.
Moveable Feast Lexington
- Moveable Feast Lexington (MFL) prepares and delivers healthy meals five days a week to low-income families that have HIV/AIDS or are on Hospice Care. Since opening up in 1998, Moveable Feast Lexington has provided over 550,000 meals completely free of charge. To support MFL, visit Moveable Feast Lexington to donate now.
The Nest- Center for Women, Children, and Families
- The Nest provides a safe place for education, counseling, and support to women, children, and families in crisis. They offer programs that prevent physical and sexual abuse, neglect of children, and the stabilization of the family unit through things like parental education and advocacy and domestic violence counseling and advocacy. In this year alone, the Nest has provided help for 4,200 families. In order to keep helping families in need, visit The Nest to donate now.